Can you press charges on a minor that assaulted my son?

Bay City, TX |
Filed under: Juvenile law

Another student of the same age was verbally bullying my son in gym class, threw a ball at him to hit him so my son threw it back, then the other student punched him in the face, then coaches interviened. So can I press assault charges in the other student?

There may be legal grounds for charges to be filed. Only your local prosecutor has the authority to file a case (no private attorney can prosecute a criminal charge) and usually the conduit to get to the State is through the police department. If you choose to follow up, they are the first people i would call, followed by the local prosecutor (District or State's Attorney) if you get no satisfaction from the police.

John Yetter

There was a crime committed at the school campus thus the school or local police should be involved. I would talk to the principal about this matter and tell them that you want charges filed. The police should be called. If not, you call them yourself. (At a minimum, the assaulting student should be sent to alternative school, away from your child, and kept out of your child's classes for the remainder of the year.)

Cynthia Henley

Juvenile law topics