Can we withhold cost of company equipment from employee's final paycheck, if he doesn't return the items?

Exton, PA |

Employee has $350 worth of company tools, and has not responded to 3 messages I've left him. How do we get the tools, or the cost of them, back?

Is there a written emplloyment contract that says that the company can use this "self-help" method to recover the cost of its property from its employees? If not, then the company can't, and will have to comply with state labor codes regarding paychecks and regarding recovery via suit for "conversion" (civil theft) of the company's tools.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

I agree with Ms. Koslyn.The employment contract should tell you if you can do this (because the employee agreed to that). If you do not have it in your current employment contract, it might be advisable to change it so it would cover situations like this in the future with future employees. In the mean time, if the employment contract doesn't help you, go to court.

IMPORTANT: We cannot answer any questions without discussion, analysis or clarification. To do so would not only be inadequate, but could result in an incorrect conclusion leading to major legal problems for the person relying on the erroneous response based on insufficient facts. Although future representation could be discussed by telephone or e-mail, under no circumstances will an attorney-client relationship be formed without a signed letter of representation from GP Schoemakers PLLC, or more formal written agreement and payment of any required retainer deposit.

Business topics