Can we sue the IRS for harassment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Thornton, CO

We owe $1252. We agreed to pay it within the 4 months - an option they provided when we were setting up a payment plan online. In response, they sent us 20 identical letters, all on the same day, stating that they accept our "offer" to pay the amount in full by Nov 7, 2013. I don't mind paying my taxes, but that amount of identical mail flooding our mailbox is ridiculous.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Answered . Governmental agencies normally have sovereign immunity and are immune from being sued. There are a couple of exceptions under Section 1983 (under federal law) for violation of ones civil rights (think Rodney King). Sending you 20 identical letters would hardly be considered to be a violation of your civil rights.

2. Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Answered . What you have described does not give you a cause of action against the IRS or any other government entity.