Can we sue the IRS for harassment?

Thornton, CO |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

We owe $1252. We agreed to pay it within the 4 months - an option they provided when we were setting up a payment plan online. In response, they sent us 20 identical letters, all on the same day, stating that they accept our "offer" to pay the amount in full by Nov 7, 2013. I don't mind paying my taxes, but that amount of identical mail flooding our mailbox is ridiculous.

What you have described does not give you a cause of action against the IRS or any other government entity.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE CAN THANK ATTORNEY MEMMEN BY MARKING IT “BEST ANSWER” or “HELPFUL.” Mr Memmen is donating his time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. THIS IS NOT A CONSULTATION and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. Alexander Memmen recommends that you always consult – in person – with a local attorney before taking any action.

Governmental agencies normally have sovereign immunity and are immune from being sued. There are a couple of exceptions under Section 1983 (under federal law) for violation of ones civil rights (think Rodney King). Sending you 20 identical letters would hardly be considered to be a violation of your civil rights.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes