Can we sue a staffing agency for breach of contract?

Asked about 1 year ago - Renton, WA

My husband has a good job with an established software company. A recruiting agency contacted him, with a job offer from another very big Seattle based company. Let me just say - both companies are huge. After two interviews he was offered the job. He submit 2 weeks notice to his current employer. Now, just a few days before starting, the staffing company tell him that the job does not exist anymore. They offered him another job, with less pay. We have two children to support! We are completely furious about this. Cancelling a job at the last minute, after EVERYTHING was done is horrible. I am shocked that they would do this to us.

My husband is so angry that he wants to sue.

Do we have a case?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . A breach of contract suit requires a contract. Was your husband a party to an executed employment contract? Or was he offered at will employment? If the latter, he could have been fired the first day he began work, a fact that he is held to know and a risk he assumed. Without a contract, it will be very difficult to make a case here.

2. Jeffrey R Galloway

1

Answered . In order to have a viable breach of contract claim you need to first have a contract. The contract can be either oral, written, or a hybrid of both oral and written. Depending on what type of contract you have, if any, with the agency will determine your applicable statute of limitations. In order to properly address the issues presented by the question, an employment law attorney should be consulted.

3. Kathryn Mary Holton

2

Answered . You really need to hire an employment lawyer to review the contractual terms and give you your options.