Can we sue a nursing home for my grandmothers bed sore?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rockford, IL

My grandmother is in her 80's and has MS(multiple sclarosis).She was recently moved to a new nursing home because the old one couldn't care for her very well, as my aunt puts it they just didn't care. When she left she already had the bed sore and now at the new place she isn't doing to good. Not eating or drinking and she can't stay awake. Can we sue the old nursing home for letting her get that bed sore in the first place?

1. James Gregory Las Cola

7

Answered . The answer to your question is yes, if there is a factual basis for a cause of action, the person/people who have been harmed may seek compensation for their injury/ies. The first step is for the person who is her agent or guardian to obtain her complete chart (medical records) from the old nursing home and seek the advice of an attorney experienced in healthcare, medical malpractice and nursing home litigation.

2. James Cummings Siebert

Pro

6

Answered . Yes, you can sue the old nursing home for your grandmother getting bedsores; however you must show negligence on the part of the nursing home. Nursing homes are required to prevent the development or worsening of bed sores. Nursing homes are obligated to identify individuals at risk for bed sores and form and implement a care plan to prevent bedsores also known as pressure ulcers. There are numerous risk factors for the development of pressure ulcers. Nursing homes can prevent the formation of pressure ulcers by constantly turning and repositioning residents to relieve pressure on any certain area of the body. There are pressure relieving devices such as special mattresses, beds, heel protectors and boots which can help prevent pressure ulcers. When a resident develops bed sores in an Illinois nursing home due to nursing staff negligence, then there is a valid cause of action. This is a highly specialized area of law, and you will need an Attorney who possesses the necessary expertise in Nursing Home actions. That Attorney will be able to determine if the Nursing Home failed to live up to its duty of care. Please feel free to contact me after Christmas at info@jcslaw.com or call my office at 847-253-7500 and I can refer you to one of the leading law firms handling this type of matter. Good luck.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . Your aunt's decline is probably due to a multitude of factors, including her age and MS. You would like not get anywhere with a suit against the nursing home but if you think it is worth pursuing, bring all of her medical records to an experienced elder care or med mal attorney for a more detailed analysis and opinoin.

4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . I completely agree with Attorney Goldstein.
    I would recommend you find an expereinced attorney
    in nursing home litigation to review your grandmother's
    case.