Can we stop paying child support?

Columbia, TN |

Hello, just the other day my husbands son called asking if he could move with us at the end of the school year. He is 16 and my husband also has a 14 yr old daughter that lives with his ex wife. I was wondering how this works since she will have one kid and we will have another kid. My husband got divorced in IL. and we live in TN. now.

I agree with Ms. Sinclair. You need to go to court to do two things: modify your current parenting plan to make the Father the custodial parent of the 16 year old son, and also to terminate the Father's child support for that child. This may be a fairly simple process, if the parties both agree to the change and can come up with a parenting schedule for both children.

Child support would be recalculated based on current incomes, health insurance payments, recurring medical expenses, etc.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions: 615-804-6086.

This communication does not establish an attorney/client relationship between Lauren Castles and the individual who posted this question. To establish an attorney/client relationship, the questioner must contact the attorney directly to set up a consultation and to sign a contract for legal services. Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

2. First of all, who put the 16-year-old in charge? If both parents agree to the change, then the court orders for custody can be updated by stipulation. In connection with that update, the child support can be recalculated at the request for either parent. Current income information will be exchanged and the new amount calculated according to the relevant formula from the state's child support guidelines.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Child custody topics