Can we stop paying child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbia, TN

Hello, just the other day my husbands son called asking if he could move with us at the end of the school year. He is 16 and my husband also has a 14 yr old daughter that lives with his ex wife. I was wondering how this works since she will have one kid and we will have another kid. My husband got divorced in IL. and we live in TN. now.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lauren Wilson Castles


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Sinclair. You need to go to court to do two things: modify your current parenting plan to make the Father the custodial parent of the 16 year old son, and also to terminate the Father's child support for that child. This may be a fairly simple process, if the parties both agree to the change and can come up with a parenting schedule for both children.

    Child support would be recalculated based on current incomes, health insurance payments, recurring medical expenses, etc.

    Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions: 615-804-6086.

    This communication does not establish an attorney/client relationship between Lauren Castles and the individual... more
  2. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . First of all, who put the 16-year-old in charge? If both parents agree to the change, then the court orders for custody can be updated by stipulation. In connection with that update, the child support can be recalculated at the request for either parent. Current income information will be exchanged and the new amount calculated according to the relevant formula from the state's child support guidelines.

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,347 answers this week

2,874 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,347 answers this week

2,874 attorneys answering