Can we request she be bonded due to a flight risk?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bloomington, IN

We have good reason to believe that the POA/Trustee (our sister) has stolen money from our fathers estate. She has admitted to borrowing money from the estate while she was the POA. She has mentioned lately about moving out of the state. Is it to late to ask the court for her to be bonded? We are looking into taking her to civil court soon.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Veronica L. Jarnagin

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, you can; AND you can demand an accounting. Do those things immediately. You can petition for her removal AFTER you get an accounting showing her misdeeds.

    You really must have adequate legal representation. While you and the other sibs will have to advance some legal fees, it is likely that you will have those fees reimbursed from the trust property. I am available for this professional engagement, but in any case, get thee to an experienced trust admin/litigation attorney ASAP!!!
    veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc

    veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc 317-253-7664 provides this response as general guidance and not specific legal... more
  2. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not sure if bonding is the issue so much as having her removed if she is in fact doing what you say. You probably need to hire your own lawyer to compel her to provide an accounting of her work as POA and trustee and perhaps ask for her removal.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  3. Timothy Edward Kalamaros

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Good answer from Ms Jarnagin but you mentioned an estate. If there is already an estate opened then you would be asking for the bond and the accounting in the estate. Take the advice to hire a lawyer, and do it fast.

    No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,806 answers this week

2,357 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,806 answers this week

2,357 attorneys answering