Can we just cross the Mexican border at Nogales to get new I-94's with extended dates?

Asked over 3 years ago - Tucson, AZ

I am an H1B visa holder, my visa got extended by my employer till July 2012 (filed I-129, got I-797 approval notice). I traveled a couple of times abroad, so my I-94 now shows July 2012 as end date. But my employer did not file an I-539 to extend my family's period of stay (they are on H-4's), and their I-94s expire in September 2011). Can I just cross the Mexican border at Nogales with my family so they get new I-94's with the extended date, based on my approval notice? Or do we have to file I-539 no matter what?

1. Calvin T. Sun

Answered . Leaving the US and then returning will do nothing with respect to your family's I-94 date. They will need an I-539 filed on their behalf. On the application, make sure you cross reference to your H-1B.

This post is not legal advice, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
  2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Returning to the US will require that you have valid visa stamps it your passports.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

Answered . There are two ways you can extend your family's I-94 cards -- file an I-539 for your spouse and list all children (each will get a new I-94 card). This must be filed before the expire in September 2011 and make sure each passport is valid for at least six months. You need to include copy of your H-1B approval, marriage and birth certificates and evidence you have maintained status such as W-2 and current pay stub. Other route is for them to leave the U.S. and schedule a visa interview at an overseas consulate.(the Mexican consulates are NOT inclined to take third-country nationals these days so check before you go; may be better with a Canadian consulate if you do not want to go to home country.)

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law