Can we get rid of Alimony payment in Pa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittston, PA

My husbands ex won a custody battle to relocate his son. She told the judge she would married once moved. She is living with her "fiance" but we believe she will never marry because she could lose alimony. It was listed as "alimony" in divorce decree eventhough I believe there is no such thing in PA anyomre. Also, it was in lieu of property so it says nothing about her being able to cohabitate or marry and still receive or not receive money. It was just up to a certain dollar amount. Is there a law in PA that supercedes this arrangement. She is living off of this man and us. She does not work, her unemployment ran out and is now going after us for more child support because of this. Can we get rid of this "alimony" payment if she never marries? $500/m plus support $370/m is killing us.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Scott L Levine

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Alimony is alive and well in PA and comes in several variations. Depending on the terms of the actual settlement, the alimony may be subject to modification or termination. If the ex-wife is living with her fiancé subsequent to the divorce, the cohabitation is grounds to end her continued receipt of alimony.

  2. Calvin T. Sun

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I agree.

Related Topics


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,716 answers this week

2,274 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,716 answers this week

2,274 attorneys answering