Skip to main content

Can we get our tax refund back if the USDA loan was under bankruptcy when it got offset?

Ardmore, AL |

My husband and I get our tax refund offset to satisfy a loan with USDA every year. This December 2011, we filed bankrupt and had our taxes done in January of 2012, not knowing that we would have to let the US Treasury know not to offset due to bankruptcy, our refund got offset. I wanna know if we can get this money back because it wasn't supposed to get offset in the first place and how do we go about doing so. I have just got the run around for about two weeks until today, the US Treasury said they entered the bankruptcy in their system and closed out our account and turned it over to the USDA.

Attorney Answers 2


You should discuss with your bankruptcy lawyer.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


The taking of funds to cover a listed debt after the bankruptcy is filed is a violation of the automatic stay. The procedures vary by district on how to enforce it, but a motion for contempt or an adversary proceeding should be commenced seeking damages as allowed by 11 USC 362(k).

Mark as helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics