Skip to main content

Can we get a court order to allow us to contact my husband's mother

New York, NY |

brother in law is blocking his brother and myself from contacting mother in law. She lives with him and monitors phone calls and visits.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Per your post yesterday, you are posting your question in the wrong category. I'm just trying to save you time by pointing you in the right direction. Since it is your brother-in-law's house & his phone, he is not committing a crime such that you have a remedy in Family Court. Once again, you're encouraged to re-post your question in the Elder Law category to see if there's a remedy there.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


See previous answers to same question.


You could petition the court for a guardianship if she is incapacitated and needs assistance in handling her affairs, or if you think she is being abused you can contact Adult Protective Services.


Yes, it is possible that you can get such an order, but far more information is needed to offer you a legal analysis of your options and the cost related thereto. I suggest you arrange a confidential consultation with an attorney as soon as possible, and if you feel there is a possibility of abuse or neglect (physical or financial) you can and should call APS now. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer