Can we get a court order to allow us to contact my husband's mother

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

brother in law is blocking his brother and myself from contacting mother in law. She lives with him and monitors phone calls and visits.

1. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

8

1

Answered . Per your post yesterday, you are posting your question in the wrong category. I'm just trying to save you time by pointing you in the right direction. Since it is your brother-in-law's house & his phone, he is not committing a crime such that you have a remedy in Family Court. Once again, you're encouraged to re-post your question in the Elder Law category to see if there's a remedy there.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  2. Edwin Drantivy

5

Answered . See previous answers to same question.

3. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

6

Answered . Yes, it is possible that you can get such an order, but far more information is needed to offer you a legal analysis of your options and the cost related thereto. I suggest you arrange a confidential consultation with an attorney as soon as possible, and if you feel there is a possibility of abuse or neglect (physical or financial) you can and should call APS now. Good luck!

4. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

4

Answered . You could petition the court for a guardianship if she is incapacitated and needs assistance in handling her affairs, or if you think she is being abused you can contact Adult Protective Services.