Can we File I-131 for the re-entry permit for my brother. He is a green card holder and cannot stay in US for max 2 years.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tallahassee, FL

Good afternoon, Sir/Madam: I have a question about my brother he is a green card holder and last year he went to India and came back after a year. While coming back in the port of entry they give him a warning that he has to stay min 180 days in US in order to maintain the green card or else he will be deported next time. My concern is he had a commitment in India and he has to stay more 2 years outside the US. If we could get any solution regarding how he can get a permission to stay outside the country for 2 years. Thank you.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Filing a Reentry Permit is the only viable solution in the is case, albeit not the perfect one, since even a RP does not guarantee readmission to the US.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Answered . He could apply for a travel document using USCIS Form I-131. If he receives it, the document will not guarantee that he will be able to avoid problems. He should consult with an immigration attorney about the situation.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Can you file? No. Can he file? Yes.