Can Virginia lawyer subpoena me living in New Jersey ? Do I have to really go in Virginia ?

Jersey City, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce Subpoena

My sister having a divorce case pending with her husband in Virginia state. husband lawyer subpoenad me on my working day. i live and work in a different state. Do I have to go ?
What should I respond to him?

He sent me subpoena on Virginia address where I have a leased apt .however I do not reside there and I am living in New Jersey for last 2 years .he just served a normal subpoena .

You do not have to go to Virginia.

Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Elizabeth Tandy Foster

Elizabeth Tandy Foster

I would only add that subpoenas in every state where I have must be personally served, if you were personally served in in virginia (and by that I mean you or someone in your household --a person of suitable age and discretion--accepted the subpoena) I would make sure that the lawyer who sent the subpoena is aware of your living in nj. I would do this in a written form to create a record, and keep it. you do not want enforcement procedures against you in virginia if you do go there.

No. You dont have sufficent contacts with Virginia.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes