Can Virginia lawyer subpoena me living in New Jersey ? Do I have to really go in Virginia ?

Jersey City, NJ |

My sister having a divorce case pending with her husband in Virginia state. husband lawyer subpoenad me on my working day. i live and work in a different state. Do I have to go ?
What should I respond to him?

He sent me subpoena on Virginia address where I have a leased apt .however I do not reside there and I am living in New Jersey for last 2 years .he just served a normal subpoena .

You do not have to go to Virginia.

Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Elizabeth Tandy Foster

Elizabeth Tandy Foster

I would only add that subpoenas in every state where I have must be personally served, if you were personally served in in virginia (and by that I mean you or someone in your household --a person of suitable age and discretion--accepted the subpoena) I would make sure that the lawyer who sent the subpoena is aware of your living in nj. I would do this in a written form to create a record, and keep it. you do not want enforcement procedures against you in virginia if you do go there.

No. You dont have sufficent contacts with Virginia.