Skip to main content

Can US citizen spouse file for k3 visa if he filed bankruptcy?

Schenectady, NY |

Husband filed for bankruptcy but waiting for it to be discharged. In the meantime, can he file for a k3 petition for his wife? His son is already an american citizen.

Attorney Answers 2


Bankruptcy doesn't make a U.S. citizen unable to apply for a K-3 or an I-130 petition. But he will need to be able to show compliance with the requirements of the I-864 affidavit of support, by which he and any co-sponsors would ensure the existence of available income at least 125% of the federal poverty levels.

Scott D. Pollock
Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 444-1940
fax: (312) 444-1950

Please visit our renovated website at, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees



Yes, he can apply. The Bankruptcy itself does not stop him. However, if he does not make enough money and his spouse will become a public charge, then it would most likely be denied. However, you could always get a joint sponsor. Please see more below.


Brian D. Lerner
Attorney at Law

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics