Can Unemployment Insurance rights be waived by signing a Separation and Release Agreement (see "Add details").

Provo, UT |

Am I waiving my Unemployment Insurance rights by signing a Separation and Release Agreement that contains the following language: "This general release includes, but is not limited to: 1) all claims arising out of or in any way related to your employment with the company or the termination of that employment."

1. You probably are.

But here's the thing: If you getting a severance package, your employer is probably trying to make sure that that's all you get, which isn't unreasonable. Signing is probably a condition of getting your severance pay. If that's more than employment, it's probably worth doing.

If you aren't getting any package... why on earth would you sign anything which would help out the guy that's firing you? Screw those guys.

I'd recommend getting in touch with a local labor and employment attorney. You might actually start with legal aid/legal services, as they frequently help people with unemployment benefits.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.