Can unemployment be collected retroactive?

Boston, MA |

If one has been unemployed for six months or more without collecting unemployment is there a way to collect retroactive and if so how? I tried to explain to unemployment agent that I did not receive proper documentation from employer, had no pay stubs and was told by unemployment career counseling center that I was ineligible. I have not even received w-2 forms yet for last year and now have filed a claim with IRS. However, upon further recent review many months later it appears that I may be eligible but agent is telling me that I cannot collect retroactive, that it's too late.

To claim any unemployment, you need to first open a case then file a weekly claim (via internet or phone). If you never opened a case and never filed weekly claims then, no, you would not get unemployment for past weeks/months.

Kara O'Donnell, Esq.
O'DONNELL LAW OFFICES 857-526-1355
Quincy, MA
www.QuincyLegal.com