Skip to main content

Can u reopen a closed case

Spring, TX |

he was convicted murder and injury to a child 6 years ago he plead not guilty and we believe the mother of the child did it he was sentence to life

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is a very complicated area of the law. The answer depends on the details. So, you will need to consult with a criminal defense lawyer. But, you need a specific kind of criminal defense lawyer, one who handles what are called "writs". These lawyers generally do not limit their practice to one city or one part of the state. A few are Terry Kirk (in Austin), Connie J. Kelly (in Austin), and Randy Schaffer (in Houston). Really, the picky details are so important in these cases that the best answer that can be given here is that sometimes a writ application is successful, sometimes not, and you need to discuss it with a lawyer.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


Talk to his lawyer about newly discovered evidence if you have it. | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.


I agree with each of my colelagues. Start with his attorney.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer