Can u go to jail for unpaid furniture for a rent to own ???

Asked about 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

can u go to jail for unpaid furniture from aarons rent to own cause i had a cop call me and tell me he had a warrant for my arrest is this true

I paid this furniture each month till i couldnt anymore i also had this furniture in my friends storage unit by the time i went to get it she had gotten rid of all of it . I just received a call supposedly from a investigator first and then a cop called me next. Told me i had till 8 oclock to make a payment of 543 to settle it or a warrant will be issued for my arrest. I am just curious do i need a lawyer cause i can go to jail or i cant please help me figure this out!!!!

1. Jackson Keith Hilliard

Pro

3

Answered . The short answer is yes. You could be arrested on a warrant and go to jail for this. It sounds like you may be charged for failure to return leased property, or possibly theft. When you rent furniture from Aaron's you do not own it unless or until you pay it off. You may have defenses to this charge. However, your defenses may not prevent law enforcement from getting a warrant or arresting you. If you hire a lawyer before your arrest, your lawyer may be able to negotiate something before you are arrested. It depends on the facts of your case. Good luck.

2. Lori Doganiero Palmieri

3

Answered . Generally these civil contract cases for rent to own furnitute don't get prosecuted, but that is if you return the furniture you could no longer pay for. If you stored it, stopped paying for it and didn't return it because your friend disposed of it, you are obligated to pay the contract. That could be deemed a grand theft because you have deprived the business from re-leasing it to another customer and they are out the rental amount. It will be cheaper to pay it than pay a lawyer at this point to intervene. Good luck.

3. Stephen Andrew Mosca

Pro

1

1

Answered . You can be charged criminally for failing to re-deliver the furniture back to Aaron's once you get behind in payments and they ask for it back or demand a settlement amount, as they seem to have done. That means that technically, yes, you can go to jail for that, depending on how much they claim. The amount you cite here would make it a 3rd degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

During these hard times, it is unlikely that you would be sent to prison for this, but how long this sits in the system, how long the warrant affects your life, is dependent on how you handle the situation. In other words, they will certainly prosecute such a case and even though you may not end up in prison, there is a big difference between handling it properly and letting it handle you. An attorney would certainly be a help in at least advising you on how to avoid the worst penalties associated with this type of charge.

I recommend you become proactive. Speak with an attorney.

4. John Skyler Riordan

1

Answered . Yes, you can. If you fail to pay the payments or return the merchandise you can be charged with a felony of failure to return leased equipment. Basically the charge is equal to theft.