Can two women sign a child's birth certificate in the state of Texas?

Asked over 2 years ago - Houston, TX

I am pregnant and a lesbian. My girlfriend wants to sign the birth certificate but we don't know if we can do that.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. M Elizabeth Gunn

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, your partner won't be able to do that. If a father is to be listed on the birth certificate, it must be the biological father of the child, regardless of whatever legal situation may be involved.

  2. Tristan Harris Longino

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Foley. Your partner could adopt the child to become the second person with parental rights, but you would first need to terminate the father's rights. You will likely need to consult an attorney to accomplish the termination and adoption.

    Tristan Longino is licensed to practice law in Texas only. The above response is merely an opinion not intended... more
  3. Eric B. Dick


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . In a situation with step-parents or same sex unions, It is important to know legal implications of standing as well as the fair faith and credit clause. Basically, if these ever is a custody dispute likely your girlfriend will not be able to seek visitation of your child (similar to the case law of a step-parent). This can change depending on the circumstances and whether you are legally married in another state and when the child is born.


    Eric Dick, LL.M.
    832-207-2007 - Office
    713-498-7969 - Cellular


    Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and his office located in Harris County. Mr. Dick primarily practices family law in Harris County and nearby counties and offers free consultations.

    Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,729 answers this week

2,895 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,729 answers this week

2,895 attorneys answering