Can two separate businesses have two different EINs with the same business name with IRS?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ellicott City, MD

Cannot find the answer afetr calling IRS several times.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, for example Acme Inc. in California and Acme Inc. in Iowa can be two separate companies with two separate sets of tax ids.

    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society.
  2. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. In the IRS world, everything is tied to a number. Business names are typically administered at the state level. So long as each business, even those with the same name, have unique EIN numbers with the IRS, everything works.

    Disclaimer: I have not been retained as your attorney. My response is provided for educational and informational... more
  3. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The IRS doesn't care as they have to give numbers to businesses in all 50 states.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Seattle Tax Attorney
    Bellevue Tax Attorney
    Everett Tax Attorney
    Auburn Tax Attorney
    Tax Lawyer Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer Seattle
    Tax Lawyer Everett
    Tax Lawyer Renton, wa
    Seattle Bankruptcy Attorney
    Bellevue Estate Planning Attorney

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,602 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,602 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering