Skip to main content

Can two people have guardianship over the same children in a different state?

Chicago, IL |

I want to know can you discharge a guardianship of two children from one grandmother to another grandmother mother but they live in two different states. Can you move children from one stae to another?

Attorney Answers 3


Are you asking can you change the guardian from one grandmother in one state to a different grandmother in a different state? Yes. So long as the parents of the child agree.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Mark as helpful

1 comment

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


I meant so long as the parents agree!


most likely yes, but there are many many for facts that are needed to answer for sure. take all the guardianship papers to a lawyer for a consultation and real advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Yes, especially if everyone is in agreement. You will likely need a lawyer for assistance.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics