Can tn judge take away my daughter who lives in ky

Asked about 2 years ago - Franklin, KY

i have a 16 year old daughter whose dad passed away some time ago and i was locked up so the great granparents in tn where given custody well about a year ago custody was granted back to me i live in ky can the judge make her come back to tn and can i sign over custody to non family member if nesecary

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Atty. Brown offers sound advice. If Kentucky has jurisdiction over your daughter, the Kentucky order will stand. Any change of custody should be taken care of through the courts and not handled "informally." Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you have a valid custody order from KY, then TN cannot overrule it. You cannot simply "sign over" custody, you need a court order to make such a change. I suggest you consult with a local attorney for specific advice. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,669 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,669 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering