Can tn judge take away my daughter who lives in ky

Asked over 1 year ago - Franklin, KY

i have a 16 year old daughter whose dad passed away some time ago and i was locked up so the great granparents in tn where given custody well about a year ago custody was granted back to me i live in ky can the judge make her come back to tn and can i sign over custody to non family member if nesecary

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Atty. Brown offers sound advice. If Kentucky has jurisdiction over your daughter, the Kentucky order will stand. Any change of custody should be taken care of through the courts and not handled "informally." Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you have a valid custody order from KY, then TN cannot overrule it. You cannot simply "sign over" custody, you need a court order to make such a change. I suggest you consult with a local attorney for specific advice. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now