Can time sharing be set up by separation? How long should I reside in Florida to get separation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Palm Coast, FL

I met my wife in Dominican Republic 5 years ago. She was 23. I was 57. She moved to my apt. In two months she became pregnant. After the birth of child, I married her, obtained U.S. citizenship for child and green card for wife. We moved to Florida. Lived there a year. Then moved to NYC for 2 years. Now in Florida for less than a month. During this time two more children born. Since the birth of third child, my wife treats me all the time that I stole her life, that She came to USA to live luxury life -- not middle class life. I am software engineer. She treats to take children and leave. She even told me she will make falsification complaint to police to get an order of protection. Children - my life. I would divorce. But we are in Fl less than 6 mo. Could separation be a legal option?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

4

12

Answered . You have a bar examination type question here and the best way for you to get a solid answer is to sit down with a local FL attny and go over exactly where you lived, where the children were born, where the breakdown of the marriage occured, was there any fraud involved on her part due to the marriage etc, and that is best done in the privacy of a local attny's office. Take care and I hope things work out.

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

4

1

Answered . I agree with Howard. More info is needed. However, legal separation is not legally recognized in Florida. See your attorney to get more information and do it before any of this becomes a bigger problem for you. Always be proactive when it comes to these things.

3. Leonore M. Greller

2

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, but I want to add that you should speak with her and see of she would be willing to go to marriage counseling with you. She woke up one day and found she was 28 with three kids and her husband right now is twice her age. I am not making excuses for either of you, but something was special enough to have three children together. Work with each other to get it back. She knows how much money you have and knew that for each of the children. Talk with her and see what's really going on.