Can this lady still hassle money out of me from an accident that happened a month and a half ago?

Asked about 1 year ago - Weehawken, NJ

About a month and a half ago, I was coming out of a parking spot and this lady was driving up the ramp and we collided. We did not file a police report and exchanged no information other than our phone numbers. My car was fine and that is why I decided not to do anything. she recently texted me saying that she will be telling me how much I have to pay her. Do I have to pay her? Can she even do anything about it now that a month and more has passed?

1. Mark M Cheser

Pro

3

Answered . She can only file MV charges against you for 30 days. She can sue you for 2 years. I do not know who was at fault but it sounds like that is an issue. I would advise your insurance company of a potential claim since they may decline coverage if you do not advise them within the time established in your policy. You should speak to a civil law attorney not a criminal law attorney on this.

2. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . She can always sue you. However, it will be her word against yours. How would you know any current damage on the vehicle was not sustained after you had collided with her? Consult a lawyer. Don't post any further admissions on here.

3. Lawrence Michael Centanni

Pro

1

Answered . For negligence claims, she has two years from the date of the incident to file a complaint against you. For motor vehicle violations, she has 30 days to file. Please consult with an attorney.