Can they send me to collections or not?

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

I had an accident ,I hired an attorney was sent me to chiropractic sessions. My pain got worst from the sessions and i tried to contact my lawyer and he wasn't responding to my calls. I had to change my lawyer. I hired a new lawyer and went to a new chiropractor and got better. the case got settled. but later i received a letter from the first chiropractor saying we need to pay them. my lawyer talked to them to reduce the bills and then they sent me another letter 2 weeks later with a due date on it and said that if i dont pay it, they will send me to collection agency. i faxed it to my lawyer and he said that he contacted them and asked them to contact him directly and not to contact me anymore. also he said that they cant send me to collection agency. could you please tell me if they can or not?

Additional information

also when i talked to my current attorney, he said that the former lawyer did not send him the lien for that chiropractor.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 15

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to both of your attorneys about this situation - they can figure it out for you. Yes, you can be sent to collections. I suspect you signed something with the chiro that guaranteed payment of your bills.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague here. It is best to talk to both lawyers to settle this issue. Good luck

    877-603-8473 - Peter S. Cameron, Esq. 2445 Fifth Ave. #350, San Diego, CA 92101 - Call 24/7 for a FREE CONSULTATION!
  3. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You signed a medical lien which ws not paid. When you fired your first attorney you may be liable for all work performed by him. Likewise, yu are liabgle for the medical liens and the new attorney has to sahre his fees with the old attorney or negotiate the fees with him. You owe the first chiropractor and your last attorney can negotiate with him. Hopefully, he will be able to get your chiropractor to lower his fees. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de... more
  4. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Schedule a sit-down with your lawyer to discuss

  5. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whether or not they sent a lien to your attorney doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the bill. The lien is simply a statutory right to receive payment from your settlement. They can still pursue you for satisfaction regardless of the lien provided it's a valid debt, which I would presume it is. Try to contact the doctor and settle the balance. You don't want it on your credit record.

    I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

    Good luck.

    Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

    Ben Titter
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646 - Available 24 hours

    Responses on AVVO do not establish an attorney-client relationship. All responses to questions should be used for... more

Related Topics

Pain and suffering for personal injury

Pain and suffering refers to physical and mental trauma caused by an injury, and is often a significant component of non-economic damages.

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,527 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,527 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering