Can they send me to collections or not?

Irvine, CA |

I had an accident ,I hired an attorney was sent me to chiropractic sessions. My pain got worst from the sessions and i tried to contact my lawyer and he wasn't responding to my calls. I had to change my lawyer. I hired a new lawyer and went to a new chiropractor and got better. the case got settled. but later i received a letter from the first chiropractor saying we need to pay them. my lawyer talked to them to reduce the bills and then they sent me another letter 2 weeks later with a due date on it and said that if i dont pay it, they will send me to collection agency. i faxed it to my lawyer and he said that he contacted them and asked them to contact him directly and not to contact me anymore. also he said that they cant send me to collection agency. could you please tell me if they can or not?

also when i talked to my current attorney, he said that the former lawyer did not send him the lien for that chiropractor.

1. Talk to both of your attorneys about this situation - they can figure it out for you. Yes, you can be sent to collections. I suspect you signed something with the chiro that guaranteed payment of your bills.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

2. I agree with my colleague here. It is best to talk to both lawyers to settle this issue. Good luck

877-603-8473 - Peter S. Cameron, Esq. 2445 Fifth Ave. #350, San Diego, CA 92101 - Call 24/7 for a FREE CONSULTATION!

3. You signed a medical lien which ws not paid. When you fired your first attorney you may be liable for all work performed by him. Likewise, yu are liabgle for the medical liens and the new attorney has to sahre his fees with the old attorney or negotiate the fees with him. You owe the first chiropractor and your last attorney can negotiate with him. Hopefully, he will be able to get your chiropractor to lower his fees. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

4. Schedule a sit-down with your lawyer to discuss

5. Whether or not they sent a lien to your attorney doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the bill. The lien is simply a statutory right to receive payment from your settlement. They can still pursue you for satisfaction regardless of the lien provided it's a valid debt, which I would presume it is. Try to contact the doctor and settle the balance. You don't want it on your credit record.

I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Ben Titter
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://vabeachpersonalinjurylawyer.com
    (757) 422-4646 - Available 24 hours

Responses on AVVO do not establish an attorney-client relationship. All responses to questions should be used for informational purposes only. Always consult personally with an attorney prior to initiating or responding to any legal action.