Skip to main content

Can they revoke the US citizenship ?

Van Nuys, CA |

I got my US citizenship through Refugee status when i entered in to US back in 1985 and I am back and living in the origin country on 1993 for the past 18 years, my daughter & my son are US citizen also, my American passport is expired and I want to renew it, will it be possible that my citizenship be revoked by US? Because I went back to the origin country?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If they suspect fraud was the basis for the original refugee status or the green card then yes, they can always instigate an action to revoke the citizenship. Usually, at this point you are fine, it is green card holders who travel to point of origin with asylum granted or refugee status who have trouble retaining their green cards.

This is a general answer only and does not imply that I am your attorney giving advice with full knowledge of all the particulars of your case or that there is any attorney client relationship. I strongly urge you to retain experienced legal counsel who can better advise you once they have reviewed all your documentation and are fully apprised of the details of your case.


Your citizenship can be revoked but only through a process called denaturalization. See 8 U.S.C. 1451 and INA 340(a).


Its possible.


Only if your natulalization was procured by means of fraud or other factors like joining the foreign military or treason.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer