Can they garnish or freeze my bank account and garnish my wages, too?

Pueblo, CO |

I've already talked to a lawyer about a bankruptcy but have not filed.

Yes, as a general rule a judgment creditor can garnish bank accounts and wages simultaneously.

Be aware that the clock is running. If a creditor has obtained judgment against you, the problem will not go away by itself. It is past time to get serious about bankruptcy.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Yes, if a creditor has already obtained a judgment against you they can garnish wages or bank accounts or both of those things. I would go back to the lawyer ASAP and begin working toward filing your bankruptcy case.

Who are they? Do you think we are mindreaders? Please provide some context. Hope this perspective helps!

Yes, they can. Although, if they garnish your wages first and then hit the bank account you may have an argument that the remaining funds in the bank account are exempt. However, you will have to make this argument in court after the funds are frozen.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.