Can they garnish my wages for a charge off of a credit card account? Can they put a lien on my property?

Holly Springs, NC |

If I am served a subpoena to go to court on a credit card debt should I get a lawyer? Can they garnish my wages? can they put a lien on my property?

The answer is state specific, so you really need to contact an attorney in North Carolina, to be certain. I'd recommend a member attorney from , if a bankruptcy is ultimately indicated. In CA, the answer would be yes, you can be sued and a judgment taken, and then attempts to garnish wages and put a lien against property, all of these would be proper. The answer on whether to obtain a lawyer to defend the lawsuit depends on your defense(s) if any, including the affirmative defense of statute of limitations, if applicable. So, I guess my answer is yes, I'd seek an attorney out for determining whether to defend the lawsuit, should it be appropriate to do so in NC.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt