Can they garnish my wages? Should I get a Lawyer?

Albany, NY |

My student loan is in default. The debt collectors are calling my job. I would like to settle the debt if at all possible.

1. They can garnish your wages if they get a money judgment against you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. If they proceed with a lawsuit and obtain a judgment they can file a garnishment. Also, some federally insured student loans can attach tax refunds.