Can they freeze my bank account?

Lakeland, FL |

I owe a hospital less than 10G was making paments of $75.00 a month made 3 payments and they have stopped sending me a bill,..they first told me that 75 was not enough,but still took it,.can they do anything to my bank account?..I'm still willing to make the payments and will increase it after other Drs. are payed. No collection company has contacted me as this time.
John

They can only freeze your bank account if they get a judgment against you. If you are head of house hold, they may not even be able to do that. But, they would need to file a lawsuit against you and get a judgement which would take a while and you would certainly know about it. Then they could attempt to freeze your account and/or garnish your wages. At this point, I would recommend you just work out some type of payment plan.

Good luck!

Zonald Spinks, Esq. Phone: (813) 413-5352 Fax: (813) 658-5893 Twitter: @ZonaldLaw Skype: Zonaldlaw Disclaimer: legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. This information is not intended as legal advice for an individual situation, it is only provided as information.

You may want to talk to a lawyer, such as a bankruptcy lawyer ( most of us offer a free consultation ) to get information about exemptions, or legal protection for your assets. Depending on your circumstances, your bank account may be exempt (safe) even if they have a judgment.

You should speak to an attorney. Hospitals are not obligated to take payments and typically send their debts to collection agencies or sell them to debt buyers, and both collection agencies and debt buyers are very hard nosed and often dishonest. You need to be clear on what they can and cannot do IN YOUR CASE so that you will be able to make good decisions, since I am sure you have not heard the last of this.

Please note that the above is not intended as legal advice, it is for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created hereby. You should contact a local attorney to discuss and to obtain legal advice.