Can they charge you with possession of Marijuana if it is not on you and another party says the marijuana is theirs?

Athens, GA |

Less than an ounce of marijuana was found under center console of front seat and a pipe was found under drivers seat in the vehicle. Owner of vehicle said they were his. Police still charged the passenger with possession. No drug testing was done. Both driver and passenger stated they were only smoking cigerettes.

An experienced attorney should be able to get the charges against the passenger dismissed, based on the facts you gave. I emphasize the word "should." Ultimately it depends on the prosecutor whether or not to go forward against the passenger.

You can be charged with it but an experienced lawyer should be able to get the case dismissed.

If during the course of the stop they find Marijuana in the car, all occupants of the car are usually charged with possession.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or mbarber@barberlegalcounsel.com if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

Yes. They can charge you with possession of marijuana if they have probable cause to believe that you committed a crime. That does not, however, mean that the State can prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Two or more people can jointly possess one object, and possession can be actual or constructive. Hire the best lawyer you can afford, and follow his/her advice. Quickly.

Answers to questions on this web site are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Unless you and Troy W. Marsh, Jr. have signed a written contract, Troy W. Marsh, Jr. is not your attorney, and you are not his client. www.marshlaw1.com troy@marshlaw1.com

The crime is possession, not ownership. Just because one person is the owner doesn't mean the other didn't also possess it.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Yes, you can still be charged. However, there are ways around making this charge stick.