Can they chager me with VOP for things that happen before i got on juvenile probation? such as missing school and referrals

Sanford, FL |

my name is Hector i am 18 , im on juvenile probation for something that happen when is was 17. im on probation untill my 19th brithday

1. Generally, No, they cannot bring a violation of probation charge against you for things that happened before you were put onto probation.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida. If you wish to contact the above attorney, see his profile at this website.

2. No, you can't be violated for issues that occurred PRIOR to your sentence. That said, the behavior you describe is routinely used as a basis to violate probation, so if you continue with that behavior, it's only a matter of time before you are arrested at taken back before Judge McIntosh or Judge Alley. I recommend you find a way to make abiding by your probationary sentence a priority so that you can close it out without any violations. In fact, if you successfully complete all of your sanctions, you may be able to secure an early termination of probation from the judge.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

3. The rule on probation violations (VOPs), whether adult or juvenile, is that you cannot be violated for something that occurred prior to your having been placed on probation. You may face new substantive charges and separate sentencing / disposition, but your existing probation cannot be violated in that event.

Please take a look at my Avvo Legal Guide on surviving probation / CC in Florida (see: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/probation-in-florida--what-it-is-and-how-to-survive-it ).

I hope that this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck!

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

4. You cannot be violated for something that occurred prior to the commencement of your probation.

Juvenile law topics