Can they chager me with VOP for things that happen before i got on juvenile probation? such as missing school and referrals

Asked 7 months ago - Sanford, FL

my name is Hector i am 18 , im on juvenile probation for something that happen when is was 17. im on probation untill my 19th brithday

1. Amir A. Ladan

Pro

4

Answered . No, you can't be violated for issues that occurred PRIOR to your sentence. That said, the behavior you describe is routinely used as a basis to violate probation, so if you continue with that behavior, it's only a matter of time before you are arrested at taken back before Judge McIntosh or Judge Alley. I recommend you find a way to make abiding by your probationary sentence a priority so that you can close it out without any violations. In fact, if you successfully complete all of your sanctions, you may be able to secure an early termination of probation from the judge.

2. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

2

Answered . The rule on probation violations (VOPs), whether adult or juvenile, is that you cannot be violated for something that occurred prior to your having been placed on probation. You may face new substantive charges and separate sentencing / disposition, but your existing probation cannot be violated in that event.

Please take a look at my Avvo Legal Guide on surviving probation / CC in Florida (see: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/probation-... ).

I hope that this has been helpful and wish you the best of luck!

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

Answered . Generally, No, they cannot bring a violation of probation charge against you for things that happened before you were put onto probation.

4. Miguel Amador

Answered . You cannot be violated for something that occurred prior to the commencement of your probation.