Can they arrest me at my pre-araignment

City Of Industry, CA |

i was called by phone from sheriffs dept detective wanting me to come in for questioning about a crime and i agreed to go.went in and ask me few questions then allowed me to leave and said will just see what the da's office says. i received a letter from county of los angeles sheriffs dept saying a complaint has been filed against me alleging violation 484(a) pc and gave me a court date. will i be arrested when i appear on the court date

It's unlikely - especially if you show up on time. Assuming you show up at court, the judge may believe you're trustworthy and allow you to go without posting bail - a so-called Own Recognizance ("OR") release. No guaranty, though. You may want to hire a lawyer who can help shepherd you along. I (as well as other Avvo lawyers) would be happy to help you; feel free to call me at 818-500-0678 if you have additional questions. Good luck.

The information I provide is as a public courtesy only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Only a formal written agreement between us will establish an attorney-client relationship. In criminal cases, speak with nobody except privately with an attorney about your case facts. In personal injury cases, all cases are governed by statutes of limitation which create deadlines to bring your case, and if you miss the deadline(s) you risk forever losing your rights.

They can, but it is a misdemeanor offense so it is unlikely. Remember, it is still possible.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

Why on earth did you talk to the sheriffs in the first place? Doing so probably gave them the basis for filing charges. NEVER waive your 5th Amendment rights.