Skip to main content

Can there be alternatives to mandatory sentencing?? House arrest, public service??.... Any help greatly appreciated

Greenville, SC |

I was charged with DUI 2nd and DUS 2nd. After review of my driving record, the solicitor has indicted me on Habitual Offender and is now asking me to plea to DUI 4th and DUS 4th...... Even though I was not in the car, hadnt been near the car for hours before my arrest. I would be willing to plea just to resolve the matter, but her recommendation is 1 year incarceration, 3 years probation with 6 months of it intensive. I have never been convicted of a DUI 2 or 3rd offense btw. I am a single mother of a child whos father died a couple years ago and I have no family as I was a foster child. I have a job and am President of my PTA.I am scared to death and dont know what to do. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. I have a PD, but he has never and refuses to return my phone calls

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Hire a DUI defense attorney. Why would you plea to DUI 4th? That makes no sense. Your case has issues that need to be discussed with a lawyer one on one, not via avvo. Hire the best lawyer you can afford. Good luck !

    The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111

  2. Best advice: if your public defender is not responding to you, contact his/her supervisor. Each jurisdiction may have alternatives to jail that are particular to that jurisdiction. Only someone (a local attorney) who practices there will actually be familiar with such options. You should contact such a person immediately, because it may take you time to contact the various agencies/programs to arrange for alternative custody.

  3. In SC a DUI 4th conviction = a felony conviction. This is something that obviously needs to be taken serious as the consequences are numerous. I cannot comment on the available options are to you based on the limited facts but pleading tho the DUI 4th charge just to "resolve the matter" does not seem to be in your best interests.

  4. General legal advice: NEVER EVER PLEAD GUILTY TO A CRIME JUST "TO RESOLVE THE MATTER"!! Your liberty and your child's potential welfare is at stake. Too much irs riding on the outcome of this case. If you feel like you are not being ably represented by a public defender, don't be proud, ask for help from friends, co-workers etc to hire private counsel,

DUI court topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics