Can the Washington DOL revoke a California drivers license? Because of a DUI charge?

Asked about 2 years ago - Oak Harbor, WA


Attorney answers (5)

  1. Scott Weymouth Lawrence

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not directly. Washington has no authority to Suspend your license in any other state. However, Washington can suspend your privilege to drive in the state of Washington based on a driving under the influence charge. California , and any other state that is is a member of the interstate licensing compact, can and probably will honor the license suspension. Even if they don't honor the suspension you can still be charged for driving on a suspended license in the state of Washington even if you have a valid license in another state. You will need to get an attorney and address the issues with Washington Department of Licensing.

    Scott. Lawrence
    Law Office of Scott Lawrence

    Sent from my Motorola Smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

    -----Original message-----

  2. Michael Steven Clark


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The Washington DOL only has jurisdiction over a person's license, privilege or permit to drive in WASHINGTON. A California license is technically property of the State of California. However, if the Washington DOL revokes a person's privilege to drive in Washington, then it would be illegal for that person to drive in Washington State even if he possessed an otherwise valid California drivers license. This area of the law can be very confusing. One would need to know more facts to give a more specific answer.

  3. Brendan William Caver

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A state may only take action on driving privileges granted or a license issued by that state. If your driving privileges are revoked in WA (regardless of the state that issued your driver's license), then you will likely face WA criminal penalties for driving in WA. If WA requests that CA revoke your CA driver's license and CA does revoke it, then you likely may not drive in CA without facing CA criminal penalties. You should consult an attorney authorized to practice law in any state in which you plan to drive.

    Nothing posted on this site is legal advice. No communication on this site is protected by attorney-client... more
  4. Kelsey E Ault

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Washington cannot revoke your California license directly, however, if California is part of the interstate licensing compact, your California license could be affected as well. As noted by the other attorneys, you cannot drive in Washington while your privilege to drive is suspended, even if your California license is still valid. Also, keep in mind that if you are on probation for a DUI and get a Driving While Suspended charge, you are facing a mandatory 30 days in jail.

    This answer is for educational purposes and is not intended as legal advice.
  5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Washington can revoke your driving privileges in Washington. They can and probably will report a conviction to California, which may take separate license action.

    Until California does something with your license, it is valid in every state except Washington. You likely will never be able to drive in Washington again until and unless you follow their requirements.

    If your case is still pending, you should have a Washington DUI / DWI / Drunk Driving lawyer and be asking these questions of that lawyer.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Civil penalties for DUI

Civil penalties for DUI are in addition to any criminal penalties. Typical examples include fines, driver's license penalties, and travel restrictions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,094 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,094 answers this week

2,776 attorneys answering