Can the victims seek restitution from the actual burglar also? Even though restitution was awarded in the first case...

A store was burglarized by one person, the burglar was provided information from one of the store's employees. The employee was convicted of burglary. Restitution has been awarded as part of the probation agreement in this case. The actual burglar has now been arrested. Can the store owners seek restitution from the actual burglar also? Even though restitution was awarded in the first case?

Plymouth, MA -

Erik Hammarlund

Erik Hammarlund

Employment / Labor Attorney - Vineyard Haven, MA

You can get restitution from the burglar. As with the employee, an award of restitution may or may not be enforceable, insofar as it often depends on income.

You can have the same award against two different parties at the same time. However, you can only get PAID for an award once.

John Addison Vos

John Addison Vos

Bankruptcy Attorney - San Rafael, CA

Yes. Two people can be ordered to pay the same Debt. Just you can't collect twice. Whomever pays you first, good for you!

Kevin V.K. Crick

Kevin V.K. Crick

Debt Collection Attorney - Boston, MA

As the others are saying, I concur, you can seek this.