Can the victim and witness withdraw or change the statments they had said or wrote about a case I was charged with?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salina, KS

The court convicted me in trial based on the officer's testimony and a witness's statement. The victim did not write a statement but he did say something to the officer on the day I was charged (but that's hearsay I believe). The victim and witness did not show up to trial.

1. Catherine Ann Zigtema

2

1

Answered . there are several exceptions to the hearsay prohibitions that can apply. In some cases, prior statements that are not consistent with the witness/victim testimony at the time of trial are admissible and the finder of fact will determine which statement they believe is credible. Also, prior statements may be admissible if it is determined that you procured the witness' absence or if you had a prior chance to cross examine them regarding their testimony. It does not matter if it is a written or oral statement. however, the application of these rules are very fact specific and you should consult and attorney regarding what evidence may or may not be admissible at trial, and what if any credibility that tevidence will have.

2. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . When were you convicted? Did you file an appeal? You have the right to consult other local criminal counsel if you feel the performance of your trial counsel was deficient. Here is one way to find a local criminal litigator: https://www.nacdl.org/About.aspx?id=20400

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . Your question is confusing -- while my colleagues have taken a shot at an answer, I can;t do it without understanding two basic facts -- were you convicted, and if so, when?