Can the TRICARE back date the cancellation of a medical insurance if the Army neglect to send me the change of my status?

Asked about 2 years ago - Mountain View, CA

I've been enlisted in the Army Reserve for 4 years. In my contract, my IRR is until 2014 and ETS is until 2016. In June, I got commissioned to be a 2LT and waiting for an order to go to OBC. In July, I received a letter from TRICARE saying that my health insurance was terminated two days after my commissioning date. I checked with my unit but the HR said that they couldn't see my profile because the Army put me to IRR status. I haven't received any order saying that my status would change. I've tried to contact the HRC but the lady over the phone told me that she had no idea about my case. And nobody can answer my question. Unfortunately I went to the hospital a day after TRICARE terminated my insurance. And now I got to pay a very big amount because of no insurance.

1. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . you wouldn't be insured by TRICARE if you were not on active duty. Talk to them about a grace period in may be 30 days. also inquire about notice. You can not sue on this issue like you could an insurance co., but they do have rules they need to follow.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Not sure I followed your post its a little short on clear details-

Sounds to me like you were commissioned, but you're not on active duty and likely wouldn't be until you were under orders for that OBC--you wouldn't be insured by TRICARE if you were not on active duty.

As a result, the "big bill" is not a government responsibility.