Can the towing company prevent me from getting my personal belongings until I pay the towing bill in Maryland

Asked about 6 years ago - Huntingtown, MD

After a car accident I had, AA county police towed my car. The following day, I went to the tow company to retrieve my belongings from the car and they refused me access until the tow bill is paid. Question, in the state of Maryland (AA county), can I retrieve my personal belongings from my vehicle, i.e. baby stuff, spare change, clothes, etc.?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Irwin R Kramer

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . In Maryland, if the other side refuses to return property that is rightfully yours, you may go to the District Court and file a Writ of Replevin -- if the Court agrees with your position, it will grant the "writ" and the Sheriff may assist you in retrieving your belongings. Hopefully, you can resolve this more amicably. What I would NOT advise you to do is to take the law intro your own hands, trespass upon the towing company's property, and retrieve it yourself.

    To get the form you may need, log on to There, you will find Maryland forms that include the Writ of Replevin suit toward the very top of the list.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,097 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,097 answers this week

2,460 attorneys answering