Can the towing company prevent me from getting my personal belongings until I pay the towing bill in Maryland

Huntingtown, MD |
Filed under: Bankruptcy

After a car accident I had, AA county police towed my car. The following day, I went to the tow company to retrieve my belongings from the car and they refused me access until the tow bill is paid. Question, in the state of Maryland (AA county), can I retrieve my personal belongings from my vehicle, i.e. baby stuff, spare change, clothes, etc.?

In Maryland, if the other side refuses to return property that is rightfully yours, you may go to the District Court and file a Writ of Replevin -- if the Court agrees with your position, it will grant the "writ" and the Sheriff may assist you in retrieving your belongings. Hopefully, you can resolve this more amicably. What I would NOT advise you to do is to take the law intro your own hands, trespass upon the towing company's property, and retrieve it yourself.

To get the form you may need, log on to http://www.kramerslaw.com/state-court-forms/maryland-court-forms. There, you will find Maryland forms that include the Writ of Replevin suit toward the very top of the list.