Skip to main content

Can the state be sued if they did not enforce sex offender registration in the 80s for a convicted child molester?

39501 |

Said child molester was given probation, allowed to return to the home with the children he had molested and not made to register. He continued molestation eventually resulting in the ill mental and physical health and eventual death of one of his victims. Surrounding family enabled this behavior and he is only JUST NOW in the process of being registered.

Attorney Answers 1


Most likely not, because of sovereign immunity granted to states. Also, there may also be statute of limitations which bars suit in this case.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics