Can the prosecuting attorney withhold evidence in a case, even after a motion for discovery has been filed?

Asked 12 months ago - Atlanta, GA

I have a criminal charge against me. I have a court appointed attorney and I went to trail last week and we requested a motion for discovery; the prosecutor would not show me or my public defender all the evidence on the case. They stated there was a video surveillance along with the detailed policed report but the only evidence they provided to both me and my attorney were the detailed notes. Does this mean there is no surveillance video, and they are just trying to blow smoke since they know this may be the only thing holding this case together?

1. Keith Samuel Hasson

10

Best Answer

Answered . You need to ask your lawyer, and if you aren't satisfied with his answer, hire someone else. If there is a tape of the circumstances leading to the arrest, and if you've filed a discovery motion, I believe you are entitled to see it.

2. Kenneth Ronald Smith

Pro

10

Answered . Your question deals with a very specific issue. Since you may still be represented, it is difficult for another lawyer to ethically, accurately and adequately advise you, particularly in light of the limited facts available. Talk to your lawyer. Demand an appointment. See for yourself what your lawyer requested and what was produced. Talk to the lawyer about how the trial may have been impacted if that evidence was available.
    Most importantly, talk about what appellate rights you hold and preserve those rights. There may be an issue for appeal.

3. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

9

Answered . Some evidence can be withheld under certain circumstances, but it is rather rare and usually frowned upon as you have a right to see the evidence against you before trial.

4. Mark J. Issa

8

Answered . Mr. Smith is right; it is difficult to answer this question and advise you properly. I suggest you make it a point to meet with your attorney immediately and if there is any evidence that is being held by the State, request your attorney make the court aware of it properly.

5. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

7

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. There are instances where evidence can be withheld from you, especially if this is a misdemeanor. Your lawyer will know how to handle this issue.

6. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

5

Answered . Because you are represented I cannot give you specific advise on you case under the ethics rules in Georgia. Also, because your question relates to a very specific fact issue in your case the best person for you to ask is - your public defender. If I were in your shoes I would do everything that I could to get an appointment with my public defender and have your questions answered. Many time the public defenders office is swamped with cases but you should do everything possible to have a meeting to discuss your case prior to trial. If you are unsatisfied with the attorney representing you, do everything in your power to get an attorney that you are satisfied with. Good Luck!!!
    George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

7. Shawn Clayton Bugbee

Pro

5

Answered . As a general rule, if the video has been requested and it is in the possession of the prosecutor's office then the prosecutor is under an obligation to either provide a copy of the video or to make it available for your attorney to review.

There are always exceptions to every rule, however, and without further information this may be one of those situations.

8. Mark J. Edwards

Answered . Not so much. The rare exception is the identity of confidential informants, and then only if certain legal tests are met. Ask your lawyer to do a motion to compel discovery.