Can the president of my HOA water common areas from a hose bib on my building?

Asked 5 months ago - Hoffman Estates, IL

I live in a 12 unit condo building. The HOA president lives in a townhouse. Our building has an association with shared utilities (gas and water) The townhouses have their own utilities. 3 years ago we had shrubs planted and our building followed landscapers recommendations to water a few times, but it hasnt stopped

Last year the Pres of HOA put in soaker hoses and continues to water those bushes from our buildings hose bib whenever she wants. I asked her if the board has approved this, she said " of course" Of course I know she is lying so this year as she hooked up the hoses again, I asked her to send me the terms of the watering agreement. She is now unresponsive. Twice I asked for the terms.
Does she have the right to use our water to common areas. How can I stop her? Thanx

There are 3 associations in our complex. 2 condo buildings and 1 row of townhouses. There is NO irrigation system for the common area. The bushes are in the common area. I have lived here 13 years and up till 3 years ago, we never watered anything. The buildings pay their own utilities as does the individual townhouse owners.

One of the townhouse owners who is the president of the HOA is the one that started watering for the newly planted shrubs as the landscapers recommended, using our water, but has never stopped. It is just our building that is watering. Her hose bib is just as close.

I asked her if this was board approved, she said "of course" But she lies constantly. So I asked her to send me a copy of the agreement, to see if we are being compensated and she will not respond to requests.

1. Stephen Samuel Messutta

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . 1. Someone must determine how water is metered.
    2. Someone must determine whether this hose bib is dedicated to your building, or is common.
    3. Someone must look at the condominium documents.
    4. Someone must look at the HOA documents (there may be an additional declaration that governs the relationship between the condo and the townhomes).
    Start with an "attorney" as that someone, because if you are not getting answers there are specific statutes that require the association to give you them and if they don't can be taken to court.

2. Thomas O. Moens

2

Answered . I am having a little trouble following the facts here. Are there two associations? If so, and this individual is using water paid for by one association to benefit another association, then there is a problem. If there is one association, it seems like it would be a wash (pun intended).

3. Gerald William Napleton

2

Answered . Are the bushes on condo or townhouse property?