Can the police tap your cell phone if someone told them that you sell drugs?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I was told by a creditable person that an informant told the police i sell drugs and thats the reason why they are watching my house. Iam not a drug dealer and never sold drugs a day before in my life.

1. Haytham Faraj

Pro

6

Answered . Not unless they get a warrant first. A "reliable" informant is one way to get the warrant. The warrant must be narrow and is hard to get for telephone intercepts.

This is not legal advice. This is merely a recommendation on how to get what you need from the Court.
  2. Melissa I. Smejkal

5

Answered . Yes, but they need a warrant.

3. Louis Joseph Meyer

Pro

4

Answered . Then you have nothing to worry about, right?

4. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . Phone taping requires a court order. It is unlikely your phone has been tapped.

5. Daniel G. Galivan

3

Answered . In order to tap your phone the state's attorney would have to obtain a court order granting what is called a Confidential Overhear (COH). It's similar to a warrant in that it must be supported by probable cause. If this was done, you will receive a notice from the state's attorney after the authorized period of the COH expires. If you're not dealing, you have nothing at all to be concerned about. If you are, you should immediately arrange a consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net

6. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

Answered . They may observe your house from a disquised van or bust in with a warrent. If you have not sold any drugs little to worry about, and if you are selling you should stop!

7. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

1

Answered . Yes. The other answers to this question outline the different methods that law enforcement could use to accomplish this.