Skip to main content

Can the police tap your cell phone if someone told them that you sell drugs?

Chicago, IL |

I was told by a creditable person that an informant told the police i sell drugs and thats the reason why they are watching my house. Iam not a drug dealer and never sold drugs a day before in my life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Then you have nothing to worry about, right?


Not unless they get a warrant first. A "reliable" informant is one way to get the warrant. The warrant must be narrow and is hard to get for telephone intercepts.

This is not legal advice. This is merely a recommendation on how to get what you need from the Court.


Yes, but they need a warrant.


Phone taping requires a court order. It is unlikely your phone has been tapped.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


Meant to say warrant


They may observe your house from a disquised van or bust in with a warrent. If you have not sold any drugs little to worry about, and if you are selling you should stop!

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.


In order to tap your phone the state's attorney would have to obtain a court order granting what is called a Confidential Overhear (COH). It's similar to a warrant in that it must be supported by probable cause. If this was done, you will receive a notice from the state's attorney after the authorized period of the COH expires. If you're not dealing, you have nothing at all to be concerned about. If you are, you should immediately arrange a consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most of us provide free consultations.


Yes. The other answers to this question outline the different methods that law enforcement could use to accomplish this.

Of course every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced attorney before acting.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer