Can the police search your wallet if your not arrested?

Asked over 3 years ago - Tyler, TX

i was stoped for questioning, not under arrest, the cop patted me down then removed my wallet and went though it without my concent.

1. Theodore W. Robinson

Best Answer

Answered . No, in fact, it is a civil rights issue and a violation of the US Constitution of freedom from unlawful search and siezure.

If you were eventually arrested due to anything they discovered within that wallet, you have the right to have it suppressed, meaning thrown out of court.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . No and in fact most cops will ask people to remove their identification or whatever from their own wallet.

3. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . No. An officer can pat you down before an arrest if there is fear of a weapon, but they cannot search your belongings. Post-arrest, yes, but not until there is an arrest. If during the search the officer found something illegal you should challenge the illegal search.

4. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Answered . NO! You should contact the officer's agency and file a complaint. I would not put more into the complaint than to say officer "X" stopped me; did a pat down and then illegally removed my wallet and searched it. You do not need to supply why the oficer stopped you.

The above is not intended as legal advice.