Skip to main content

Can the police or landlord make a commercial vessel vacate the premises of dock if iI hold a current legal rental agreement ?

San Pedro, CA |

On aug 20th 2013 while away from my vessel police and landlord showed up and entered my boat without my permission and left a card to contact them about vacating my vessel. On the bottom of this card is the words written in pen stating Vacate-LA-Complex The card was from LA the port of Los Angeles , port police . The last fish ticket I turned in was about 8 months ago due to costudy of my two daughters and my health issue and many dr appt. and single father with full custody . There's many of vessel owners with boats in horrible condition with no proof of fishing tickets for 3 yrs plus , I am wondering what my rights are with this situation and what they legally can and can't do , even intruding onto my boat without my permission. Please let me if I can take any action with this matter.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This is not a question that can be answered here on AVVO. You need specific legal advice for a specific situation. Consult an attorney in your area.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


You need an attorney who specializes in Admiralty law in your area. This is a really complex question, because it sounds as though you either are trespassing, have a fish and game violation, or a pending vessel arrest.

DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice. Transmission or receipt of any information from this, or any, website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. The application of law is dependent on the facts of each case, and no two cases are ever similar. It is important that users of this site realize that it is risky to assume that their case is identical to someone else's, without consulting with an attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer