Skip to main content

Can the police issue a warrant for my arrest without notifying me of anything?

Albany, NY |

Supposedly the police came to my friends home looking for me with the allegation of shoplifting. They claim to have me on film and they shown him a picture. I guess my friend gave them my name, but nothing more. My friend told me they said they're going to come back with an arrest warrant in a few days. Can they do that?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes they can although they are unlikely to actually get a warrant. Cops are lazy.
    Be smart and say nothing to the police no matter what they promise or threaten. Their case only hets stronger AGAINST you if you make any statement except I want a lawyer.
    Good Luck!

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  2. Consult with a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Do not speak to the police until you first speak to an attorney.if they stop you, then tell them you want to speak with a lawyer and do not say anything.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  3. Yes. They don't actually need a warrant unless they intend to arrest you inside yor home.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. I have offices all over the state and I can usually get these cases dismissed in just one appearance for a very low fee. If you do not have a bad criminal record I can surrender you, get you out of jail and get an ACD dismissal so you do not have a criminal record.'
    John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics