Can the police give permission for any individual to come on my property if I say no.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hixson, TN

I tell a person to stay off my property can the police tell the person they can?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Andrew Michael Bonderud

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . It depends.
    Generally, the answer is no, but it depends on whether there is an existing easement or right of way on your property that allows the public to enter it. Alternatively, people can generally enter your property in cases of necessity or emergency. So, if the police officer told a person to come on your property in a case of necessity or emergency, then, your only recourse is to be compensated for any damages (other than de minimus damages) they caused to your property.

    Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. is an attorney The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A. He offers free consultations 24/7. You can... more

Related Topics

Criminal tresspass

Criminal trespass is when you enter someone's property without authorization, either at a prohibited time or onto property you are not allowed to enter at all.

Mark David Brynteson

Understanding Slip & Fall Cases

The Law Is About People Mark D. Brynteson Attorney at Law 2969 Rolling Meadow Court Belvidere, Illinois 61008 (o) 815-569-4280 (f) 815-371-0146 web site: more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,473 answers this week

3,373 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,473 answers this week

3,373 attorneys answering