Skip to main content

Can the police give me a warrant

Homestead, FL |

My boyfriend and i got into a fight i left before the police came he wrote a statement but told because they said if he didn't he was going to jail now months later they contact me and say turn myself in. he says he don't want to press charges so how to i not go to jail for this

Attorney Answers 3


You probably have a domestic violence charge against you, which depending on the facts and circumstances can be a misdemeanor or a felony. Once the criminal case is filed, it is the State of Florida, not your boyfriend, who is the one pursuing the case. In order to best ensure that they will dismiss your case, your boyfriend should sign a Declination of Prosecution Affidavit as soon as possible. While the State usually needs a cooperating victim to proceed to trial, they may still be able to proceed even if your boyfriend does not want to cooperate, if there are additional witnesses or other evidence, such as a 911 call. It is best to contact an attorney to represent you in this matter before turning yourself in on the warrant.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area. If you cannot afford one, contact the office of the public defender to see if you qualify for representation by one of its attorneys.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Ms. Cryer is correct. You should contact a lawyer as it is the government who determines whether your charge continues to be prosecuted. An arrest for domestic violence can impact your future, career and has all kinds of social stigmas attached.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-228-3838 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics