Can the phrase "under penalty of perjury" sometimes be used as a threat and not anything serious?

I read an online article that gave different definitions to various law terminology, and it said that sometimes "under penalty of perjury" is used as a way to scare people into telling the truth even though the threat of perjury is an empty one. I am not sure if this is correct or not and I was curious

Saint Louis, MO -

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

It may be. If it is a sworn legal document, then perjury would be in play if it is a lie.

Melvin G. Franke

Melvin G. Franke

Criminal Defense Attorney - Pacific, MO

It is not an empty threat.

Clifton L Black

Clifton L Black

Criminal Defense Attorney - Colorado Springs, CO

A person can be held in contempt of court for lying in court. "Under penalty of perjury" is a reminder that the witness is under oath and that lying in court is punishable. If the witness takes this as a scare tactic to tell the truth, then it is a scare tactic. I would not consider this an empty threat, although it may be difficult to prove somebody was lying.